BT Infinity fibre broadband service terms
(These terms and conditions come into effect on 21st April 2011)
What we provide
- The service we agree to give you includes:
- a high-speed fibre broadband service. Your speed will be estimated at the time of placing the order and will be the fastest speed your line can support. For further information please go to www.bt.com/help/infinityspeed.
- helpdesk services;
- other applications and features as described at www.bt.com/infinity ; and
- installation of network equipment required to enable you to use the service.
- The equipment we agree to give you includes a:
- BT Infinity Home Hub; and
- Data Extension Kit (required only if there is no double power socket near your telephone master socket). If required, the engineer will ask for your agreement to install during his installation visit.
You will need to have and keep a BT telephone line for the duration of the service. An engineer installation visit will be required where no working fibre installation already exists. The provision of BT Infinity is subject to availability and a line check. The service may be incompatible with other services you have. Further information can be found on www.bt.com/help/compatibility.
When the service starts
- We will begin the service, and the minimum period of 18 months will start, on the day we install the service (the service start date). We will agree a date with you for delivery and installation of any equipment, but all dates are estimates and we cannot guarantee we will meet them.
- If we need to change the installation date, we will try to contact you a minimum of two working days before the scheduled date.
- If you need to change or cancel any appointment date, you must tell us at least three working days prior to the scheduled appointment or we may charge you a missed appointment fee.
- During installation there must be a responsible adult present in your home. Where this person is not you, it must be someone authorised by you to make decisions regarding the location and installation of equipment (eg. if a Data Extension Kit is required).
- On the day of installation, prior to visiting your home, the engineer will need to disconnect your phone line for a short period. If possible you should make alternative arrangements to enable you to make calls to emergency services during this period. If you already have broadband, this will also be taken out of service during the installation.
- As part of the installation, the engineer will be responsible for connecting your computer to the BT Infinity service and will demonstrate a working internet connection to you, providing your computer meets the minimum requirements. You will be responsible for reconnecting any other online equipment you may have, such as a BT Vision+ box, additional computers, or games consoles.
- Some BT services that you have may be incompatible with BT Infinity. Please seewww.bt.com/help/compatibility for further information.
Cancelling the Agreement
- You may cancel your agreement for BT Infinity by contacting us at any time up until the service start date. However you will be liable to pay for any work that we have started or done to install any equipment.
Deferred Payment for the BT Infinity Home Hub
- In some cases we will allow you to defer payment of the full price of the BT Infinity Home Hub that we supply for use with the service. If you move to a different product within our portfolio or end the service within 12 months of BT accepting your order for that service, and you did not pay the full price for the BT Infinity Home Hub when you placed your order, you will be liable to pay the balance – that is, the price as set out in the Tariff Guide, less any amount which you paid upfront when you placed your order, unless you end the service within the cancellation period (as detailed in paragraph 10 of the Residential Standard Terms). The deferred payment is no longer payable after you have received the service for 12 months or more from the date that your order was accepted by BT.
Quality of service
- We aim to provide a continuous, high-quality service but we do not guarantee either the quality of the service or that the service will be available at all times. From time to time faults in the service may occur and maintenance on the network may be required which causes disruption. We will repair these faults as soon as we can and perform network maintenance when the network is least busy.
- We cannot provide BT Infinity in all parts of the United Kingdom.
- We may also take action to manage the network’s performance during periods where there is a high demand. Please refer to the ‘Help’ section at www.bt.com/broadbandusagepolicy for more details.
- If you use the service in any way that we consider is likely to be detrimental to the provision of the service or which may adversely affect other customer’s enjoyment of the service we reserve the right to terminate your service immediately.
Using the service
- You must not use the service for any commercial or business purpose whatsoever unless we have given you permission to do so. If we find that you are using the service in for business or commercial purposes we reserve the right to limit or terminate the service immediately.
- You will need to meet any requirements set out online at www.bt.com/infinity and have your BT Telephone service activated, working and having passed a minimum line speed test that we will perform in order to receive the service.
- Our BT Infinity services (including our unlimited service) are provided in line with our Broadband Usage Policy as set out at in the ‘Help’ section at www.bt.com/broadbandusagepolicy.
- BT Infinity Option 1 has a monthly usage allowance of 40 Gigabytes. If you go over your usage allowance, we will charge you for your additional usage. You can find details of the extra usage charges in the Tariff Guide.
- BT Infinity Option 2 has an unlimited monthly usage allowance.
Our responsibility to you
- If you suffer a continuous total loss of the service at any time after we have provided it, we promise to put things right by midnight on the third weekday (not public and bank holidays) after you have reported the fault to us unless a specific appointment date is agreed. We will treat a fault reported after 9pm on a weekday, or anytime at weekends or on a public or bank holiday, as if you reported the fault at 8am on the next weekday after the day you reported the fault to us.
- By continuous total loss of broadband service we mean the inability to make a connection to the internet through BT Infinity due to a fault in any part of BT’s network but excluding any data extension kit if used.
- If we do repair the service as described in paragraph 21, we will provide a daily rate rental credit for each whole or part day we are late in repairing the service. It is equal to the daily charge of your rental for each day that applies. The daily charge is twelve times the monthly rental charge (including VAT) divided by 365. You will not be entitled to a rental credit on your BT Infinity service if the fault relates to your phone line or is due to equipment you have connected to our network.
- You will need to contact us to claim the rental credit. We will take the amount we owe you off your next bill, unless you ask us to send you a cheque.
Changing your BT service
Changes we may make
- Occasionally, we may have to interrupt the service. If we do so, we will restore it as quickly as we can. We may also make minor changes to certain technical specifications, including limits for transferring information which are associated with the service. We may also change usage allowances.
Changes you can make
- If you upgrade to BT Infinity while you are still within your minimum period on any other BT Total Broadband Option or package, you will need to agree to a new minimum period on each component service and pay any applicable BT Infinity activation charge.
- For all other changes, including downgrades to another BT Infinity Option or to a BT Total Broadband Option or moving to a package, a new minimum period will apply unless you are moving home and we are unable to provide BT Infinity at your new address.
Ending your agreement
- The service has a minimum period of 18 months.
- If you are using any services, applications or features which BT has provided free of charge, these will end on the day your agreement with us ends.
- When you end your broadband service and do not request and use a Migration Authorisation Code (MAC) or another recognised transfer process to move to another service provider, you will have to pay a cease charge of £30. You will not have to pay this charge in the event you are moving home and we are unable to provide the service at the new UK address.